Weymouth with Family

Friday 13th July 2018

We are off again – back to Weymouth.

We have been home for a few days to catch up on the post and of course the piles of washing – and then the ironing. All done and dusted – feeling happy that all is tidy for when we return.

The journey down was mostly uneventful – we parked in a lay-by at lunchtime – a biker was waiting, on his phone most of the time – for breakdown recovery it turned out – puncture I think.

Anyway our only slow bit was on the Dorchester bypass where two lanes reduce to one – I do hate the way some drivers try to overtake while everyone else is waiting patiently – mind you Voyager is quite wide so straddling the white line tends to discourage all but the worst.

We arrived at the Haven Seaview site at about two o’clock, did all the booking in stuff and received our info pack (not sure how much use of the ‘fun passes’ we will make). Our pitch was in the corner and despite the name we had no sea view at all.

After getting pitched

Voyager pitched

– a fully serviced 7m square so we won’t be moving Voyager until we leave – we went for our usual trundle to find our bearings and check out the facilities. They provided a site map which as well as the normal stuff showed paths to the sister site ‘Weymouth Bay‘ and ‘buggy able’ ones to the beach (I think referring to pushchair type buggies – not our scooters) but we tried them and succeeded in getting to Bowleaze Cove.

There was a choice of route – over the hill which was a bit bumpy but afforded some excellent views

Wey Horse

view fm hl

or around the hill on a hardcore path. We opted for the hill going – deciding that the path would be for returning. Took some good photos from the top.

Bowleaze from hill pano

We had a rather large ice cream which we ate watching the sea lap against the shore and I started to wish I had bought the swimming costume I saw the other day.

We returned to Voyager for our goto evening meal of sweet chilli prawns (forgot to get anything out of the freezer again).

Saturday 14th July 2018

Wow another lovely day and forecast to be very warm. We had both slept very well – I seem to sleep better in Voyager than at home.

Today Roy and his family arrived to stay at Weymouth Bay for the week. His kids Russell, Michelle and Sophie along with grandkids Jake and Harry are all staying in a holiday caravan.

We weren’t sure what time they would arrive so we trundled into Weymouth to have a look at the Seafood Festival going on at the harbour. There were loads of people with the same idea so it was packed out and difficult to see anything between them. We didn’t stay very long before getting out and going through the town centre streets (which were very quiet) and on to the promenade again. We found ourselves very close to our favourite ice cream parlour (how did that happen) so had to check they were still up to scratch – Love the chocolate whippy!

We returned to site and found Roy’s caravan (he had texted the ‘address’) with no difficulty. We spent a lovely couple of hours with them


before returning to Voyager for a short siesta, some food and to get spruced up for a night out with the ‘gang’.

Nigel wore his seaside outfit – very smart.



We had a brilliant night out with the family

Gs boys

at the complex bar – we sat outside until it started to cool

Soph dkchrBar 1

before moving inside – had so many laughs and a few spritzers – got a bit squiffy.

Sunday 15th July 2018

I know it’s getting repetitive but another sunny warm day – the gardeners may not like it but we do – more family is visiting today and the beach is beckoning.

My sister Dot came by train and Roy’s other son Danial with his young family also arrived during the morning.


So after the getting together chats we got everything together and set off on the path we found the other day to Bowleaze Cove.

Mary beach G 2

A lovely day with the younger ones swimming and playing.

Beach rus

We more mature ones having a paddle – which was still very refreshing.

Beach m dBeach ls

I had prepared our packed lunch so we ate while the others did their own thing (some fish and chips and some just liquid lunch).

The only loo was in the Café/Bar and designated for customers only – well we bought an ice cream the other day so I reckon that counts. The que was way too long so nothing today though.

Late in the afternoon we came back to camp– Nigel took Dot back to the train station (using Roy’s car) and we then returned to Voyager for our meal of Prawn salad – too hot for anything else really.

The gang came to us about 8 o’clock, we had a few beers and they all had a good look around our setup with many questions about how things work – it seems obvious to us now but we remember when we were as in the dark as they were.

On our trundles we had spotted a pub with good advertising on the roadside so went there for a few drinks – thought it would be cheaper than on campus which it was but that was the only thing going for it really. It was definitely on the decline – many of the machines were broken and the garden area had a covered decking area where we sat but some of the balustrade was broken and some of the boards were very ‘spongy’ – oh well must remember to check things out beforehand next time. We made the most of it though and had a good laugh – stayed until chucking out time so a good night overall.

Monday 16th July 2018

We have run out of a few things so our first duty (after the normal morning chores) is a trundle to Weymouth ASDA to restock.

Mary beach G

I also decided that I would buy that swimming costume I saw in Bonne Marche Chippenham in their branch in town here – if available in my size.

The journey was uneventful and everything went according to plan – I got the costume and a matching dress. Nigel said I looked really good in it and I must admit I am proud of myself for getting into it.

We managed to get all we needed from Asda and then headed to the front where we ate our Tapas style lunch (from Asda) followed up with – yes you guessed, it a chocolate whippy ice cream.

We were just preparing to make our way back when we got a call from the family – we arranged to meet them at the outdoor swimming pool when we got back.

So after putting the shopping away and changing into my new kit we made our way there. I did say that if anyone laughed I would go home – but they all said I looked really good in it. I even went into the pool a couple of times with Shelly and the kids and I loved it.

Mary swim pose

We stayed until the pool closed at five, then went back to Voyager for our roast chicken meal, meeting up with the family again later for yet another visit to the club house bar. Again we had a good laugh and joke around. Stayed until closing time again – I could get used to this but I’ve drunk way too much in the last few days – need to get back on plan.

Tuesday 17th July 2018

Today the family are going to Bournemouth with Danial and his young family. We decided to have a chill day to recover from the last few lovely but hectic ones.

So after showers and a late breakfast we just chilled – I did a bit of sewing while Nigel was having a go at some video editing – that’s a slow business though.

Lunch was a simple affair (Mediterranean again) out in the sun – there was bit of a breeze but it was still warm. We made the most of the quiet day as we have to leave tomorrow – I really don’t want to go as it has been such fun with the family and the weather has been fabulous.

After our evening meal we went around to Roy’s – they had not been back long and were tired – we went to the bar but got bored with nothing going on so returned to Voyager early. A bit of a disappointing end but we will remember this break for the many laughs we had with our extended family.

Wednesday 18th July 2018

Home today – early start as the departure time at this site is 10 o’clock (normally 11 at most sites). No problems packing up – on the road by 09.55 and the trip home was uneventful.

Another load of washing, then ironing, giving Voyager a good clean inside and out – oh and fitting some more vinyl’s we have had made.

Nigel has to do a bit of renovation work (bit more than touch up paint required on his ‘pilot error’ on the front. A botched repair (prior to our buying it I must stress) on the bonnet also needs to be sorted. Not sure whether Nigel will do it himself or take it to a body shop yet – but it’s high on the to-do list.

August is a month we don’t do much travelling (too many kids I’m afraid) apart from odd days out – mostly Weston beach when the need for ice cream can’t be supressed any longer – so maintenance, MOT and other boring but essential things get done.

We will update you when they are finished (or during if they appear interesting).

Hopefully we will find something to go to for August Bank Holiday weekend – that’s likely the next time we will be away.

Until then thanks for reading our Blog.

2 thoughts on “Weymouth with Family

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.