Our Weymouth Break

Saturday 30th June 2018

When we set off from home it was cloudy but the sun was beginning to burn through. It promised to be another fine day – that will be five days in a row without rain (can’t be England right!)

The trip down to Weymouth was brilliant – we thought we may be held up in Westbury or Shaftesbury but we didn’t meet much traffic until we got to Blandford bypass. Even that wasn’t too bad as even with stopping in a lay bye for lunch we still arrived at the Pebble Bank Caravan site about one thirty. We entered by the touring entrance (as instructed by their Website) and Nigel walked to Reception to book us in – not too far thankfully.

Our pitch is on the edge of the site and looks out on Chesil beach and Portland – idyllic.

pitch view 1

We got settled then went for a short explore of the site and the local area. There is an Army camp just over the road but it looks very run down (rusty Nissan huts with broken windows) with no soldiers or action of any kind evident. At one of the gates there appeared, from a distance, to be a couple of soldiers at the guard house. When we got closer they turned out to be manikins.


Nearer the water is another area surrounded by a high fence with razor wire – there may be submarines – ooh young muscular bearded submariners – Nigel says that’s just my fantasy though.

Dinner tonight was sweet chilli prawns with rice – our go to meal when we haven’t planned too well and not got anything out of the freezer.

It was a lovely evening so we sat outside looking at the beautiful view and chatting with our neighbours until it started to cool down at sunset.

pitch view sunset 2

Sunday 1st July 2018

Waking up today it was warm if a tad on the windy side. There had been a little shower about 6.00 but by 9.30 the sun was trying hard to break through.

After breakfast (scrambled eggs and bacon) I packed a picnic lunch and we set forth on the 2G’s into Weymouth town. It was a nice trip of about 3 miles and we spent the rest of the morning trundling along the seafront looking at the other holiday makers enjoying the beach, some swimming or paddling others cooking on a towel – that’s themselves not food : there will be a lot of sore bodies later.

Beach 2Beach 1

Wey prom

We found a nice spot on the beach for our lunch – then we had the first ice cream of our trip – and what a disappointment it was – overpriced and very watery – note to self – avoid the beach front parlours.

Then back through the town and over the bridge

Wey Twn

(had to wait a few minutes as it was raised as we approached – for a couple of yachts) to the west side. We went past Brewers Quay

Brewers quay 2

and on towards the Nothe Fort (following the signposts) – I stopped to ask a local how the name was pronounced – lucky I did as he not only told me but also let me know the signposted route to the fort entailed a lot of steps – he advised a route that would work for our scooters.

Ten minutes later we were in Nothe Gardens – lovely green area with lots of trees for shade, lots of grass and many paths. The only thing missing was flowers – but I guess just grass is cheaper to maintain. The fort itself was impressive but not easily accessible so we just looked through the gate and at the outside

(the £7 entrance fee would be worth it for fully mobile people I think).

On our return to Voyager we found the Rodwell Trail which is a 3 km pedestrian/cycle route that was a railway line up until the1960’s (Beeching cut). Some of the station platforms remain as well as the tunnels and bridges.

Rodwell 1

Rodwell 2

We only used a couple of hundred yards before leaving and continuing through a couple of estates – saving the full thing for tomorrow.

Monday 2nd July 2018

The early morning cloud burned off very quickly this morning so after breakfast and chores (plus making our packed lunch) we set forth again to the town but this time going through the village of Wyke Regis (nothing remarkable) and used the full length of the Rodwell Trail. It’s a lovely level and well tarmacked path and very warm in the sun.

We stopped at Sandsfoot Castle and Gardens

Sandsfoot Castle 1


another of Henry 8ths fortifications which had some steelwork added with lottery funds in 2012 making it accessible

Sandsfoot Castle 2

– worth a visit for the views it affords.

Sandsfoot Castle view

The gardens are more recent but are very well maintained with lots of flowers.

Sandsfoot Gdns

We continued into town and found Stuart Wiltshire’s workshop – to watch him blowing glass – he had some of his work displayed in cases

Glass 1

and we ordered a piece we saw. He will make one in a different colour for us to collect on Wednesday – I do like a bit of glass work.

Then onward to Greenhill Gardens on the seafront for our lunch.

Gardens 2

We had a small bottle of white wine but I managed to knock mine onto the ground (luckily in a plastic tumbler) so I wasn’t meant to have it. Nigel enjoyed his ‘lemonade’ as he called it (Alcohol free area) – I wasn’t at all jealous.

On the way back along the promenade we bumped (not literally) into my sister Lyn with her husband Steve. She had decided to have the day in Weymouth with some friends – we chatted for a while then went our separate ways.

We spotted a few people eating chocolate whippy ice creams – they looked to be enjoying them – so we tracked down the vendor (a café) and had a tub each. Twice as much and half the price of the ones on Saturday – and very tasty.

Headed back to Voyager stopping on the way for a few groceries in Asda – but managed to forget the olives we should have got.

Back at camp I had a short nap (siesta) while Nigel polished the scooters and added some more vinyl’s – just so we know which is which.

Tuesday 3rd July 2018

Today we awoke to a very windy day but it is still fairly warm. After a shower and a large breakfast Nigel did a lot of cleaning – I sat outside out of the way – he is like a whirlwind, flying around with the Dyson and Flash. I have to admit it was all very neat and smelling lovely when he had finished.

After lunch, which was later than normal due to the late breakfast, Nigel worked on the Blog and some video which will appear on our new YouTube channel soon. I did a little sewing and had a short nap (this holidaying is very tiring).

We decided to just go for a short trundle (it was about 4 o’clock) to the bay we can see from our pitch.

pitch view 2

After a couple of consultations with Google maps we found Pirates Lane next to Wyke Castle and utilised the footpath to get to Pirates Cove which is now a nature reserve. I imagine this was used by pirates to smuggle goods past the excise man but that might just be my imagination working overtime again. Anyway it is a lovely little tidal cove with a compacted sand beach so we could go on it with the scooters. We saw a campervan parked above the shoreline – wild camping I guess.

Pirates Cove 2

After a good look around the lagoon we headed back as Nigel had promised me a meal in the ‘Fat Badger’ the on-site pub this evening.

When we arrived at the restaurant it was showing a football match (England apparently) so we sat on the balcony after ordering our food – the view is terrific – similar but subtly different to our pitch. We chatted, took a selfie and posted it and a couple of other pics on Facebook while waiting for our order.

I must say the food was nothing exceptional but OK – better for not having to cook it or do the washing up afterwards.

We returned to Voyager and watched a bit of TV – even stayed up to watch the highlights of England losing the first T20 match against India – Oh well.

Wednesday 4th July 2018

This is our last full day here – we have had rain overnight and there were still showers through the morning up to about 11.30 when we set forth for the town. I have to collect my glass piece from Stuart (first names already) – nice to be a patron and commission a bespoke piece hehe.

We wrapped up well as it has turned a bit chilly – so no delays on our trip today – quickest route in didn’t take too long so got to the workshop where we found the furnace burning brightly and lovely and warm too.

Glass 3

My piece was waiting for me – Stuart wrapped it and we left –

Glass 4

– heading for the little Tapas bar we saw the other day. Had a lovely meal – olives meats and cheese starter – I had chicken with garlic aioli while Nigel had a seafood Cazuela with a couple of Fino’s to wash it down. Finished off with an espresso. Very Mediterranean.

Then a quick dash up the prom to our nice whippy ice cream café for another chocolate tub – good job we are moving on tomorrow as they could be very addictive.

Quickly back to Voyager where I had a nice siesta while Nigel did more photo/video/Blog work. When I awoke at 5.30 the sky was blue the sun was out and the wind had dropped.

So lounge chairs out for a bit before I got the light evening meal prepared.

One thought on “Our Weymouth Break

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.